Friday, November 9, 2012

The PE2 Reflection...

Hello, everyone!  Welcome!
Already, PE2 has come to an end.  And so it is time again for me to reflect on my achievements so far!
For PE2, my overall goal was Conversating.  I wanted to be able to naturally form longer, more complex Japanese sentences, with prepositional phrases and multiple clauses, without spending excessive time planning my words mentally beforehand.  To accomplish this goal, my planned activities were to do the following, weekly: visit office hours at least once, watch at least one hour of subbed anime, and post at least three free-speaking videos to my blog.
Indeed, I did do my weekly planned activities - with some slip-ups.  During fall break, for instance, I only completed one of these activities (at least one hour of subbed anime).  Also, during really busy weeks, I found that I would push all of my video-making or anime-watching to the end of the week, and do them all at once.  I do not think this approach is very effective, as I would much rather spread the activities out and get benefits from them throughout the week.
Despite the inconsistency of my practice, I think my skills in Japanese conversation have definitely gotten better!  I speak a bit more naturally now, and I find it easier to ask questions and answer them, with far less mental planning.  Also, I find myself thinking simple and common Japanese within my head frequently, such as thinking すみません when I bump into somebody, rather than 'excuse me.'  And this is good!
However, when speaking aloud, I need to work on saying the right things, as I have a tendency to ruin my sentences by stumbling over particles, leaving my sentences unfinished, and sometimes just misspeaking in general.
These are dilemmas I must address in the next PE cycle, which is coming up next!
ねこみみ

No comments:

Post a Comment